Last month the ALMA management tip focused on the barriers that managers face in delegating. To be comfortable delegating you
- Match the task and the skills of the person. The match doesn’t need to be perfect. If you feel confident that the person can do it 80% as well as you can and he or she can learn – delegate it. Coach them, watch them grow and they will be even a better match for the next assignment.
- Make it comfortable for them to come back to you for help if they need it.
- Set fences on what you delegate.
- Clearly define the scope of the assignment – what’s included, what’s not.
- Define how you want report outs – how frequently, how much detail, email or meeting?
- Set a clear target date for completion of the assignment
- Gain commitment and make the priority clear.
- Delegate, but don’t abdicate. The manager is still responsible for the end result.
Getting more done and growing people through effective delegation can be one of the most rewarding aspects of being a leader. Make delegation one of your key skills.