HHMI is seeking an organized, dependable Laboratory Manager to work within the shared lab of HHMI Investigator Dr. Tobias Walther and his scientific partner Dr. Robert Farese at their new lab location on-site at Sloan Kettering Institute/Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City. The Farese & Walther laboratory studies the molecular mechanisms behind lipid storage. Ultimately, the lab aims to uncover the biochemical and physical principles that govern lipid balance and storage and to determine how alterations in lipid stores affect physiology and disease. More information can be found on the lab’s website: https://faresewaltherlab.hms.harvard.edu/research
The Lab Manager will hold an integral role within the lab – not only taking on the administrative duties involved in running the lab and assisting with ramping up operations at MSKCC but also supporting and participating in the science. The successful candidate for this position is someone who is highly organized, has impeccable follow through, outstanding communication skills, and a strong growth mindset. This is an opportunity to have a tremendous impact on science in a growing laboratory – ensuring a positive and encouraging work environment that fosters a strong and cohesive team. The Lab Manager will be expected to work on-site in the lab on a day-to-day basis, but there is opportunity for some occasional remote work if needed.
Administrative – 50%
· Coordinate all ordering of supplies and ensure adequate maintenance of research requirements
· Administer lab safety programs and train and monitor laboratory members as needed to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations
o Manage yearly regulatory review process with various governing bodies to ensure compliance
· Oversight of essential equipment and maintenance
· Supervise management of the laboratory plasmid and cell line inventories
· Coordinate lab orientation and onboarding of all new lab members and training on a variety of laboratory procedures
· Along with other duties as assigned by the Principal Investigators, the candidate will serve as a resource for both students and staff for a variety of issues.
Research – 50%
· Work efficiently and cooperatively with a team of researchers in support of projects
· Work will involve CRISPR engineering of cells lines and collaboration on cell biology projects
· Participate in laboratory meetings and planning sessions
· Search out, read, discuss and apply relevant scientific literature
· Assist other scientists as required
· B.A. or B.S. in Biology or a related field is required.
· 3-5 years of prior experience working in a laboratory.
o Prior experience working with animal models would be a plus.
· Candidate must be self-motivated, energetic and able to work in a diverse environment with people from a wide variety of backgrounds.
· Knowledge of standard safety regulations and appropriate laboratory practices applying to research in biology and biochemistry; demonstrated ability to engage others effectively in learning and applying appropriate practices.
· Excellent organizational, communication, computer and record-keeping skills.
· Knowledge of computers and MS Office software with comfort operating in a Mac environment.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit hhmi.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.