Website Pacific Lutheran University
$19.34-$21.67 per hour, with excellent benefits.
This search will be closed when a sufficient number of qualified candidates have been identified.
FT; 12 month position. Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm.
The Laboratory Manager will provide support for the Department of Biology teaching labs, greenhouse, and animal care facilities, while working with faculty to support laboratory instruction, efficiency and safety. This position will supervise student employees and oversee chemical and biohazard safety operations. During the academic terms, the primary workload for this position will be supervision and coordination of student workers to support laboratory instruction. Outside the academic terms, this position will primarily be responsible for additional responsibilities related to purchasing, training, and chemical safety. Reports to the Chair of Biology.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Supervises student employees who serve as lab technicians, dishwashers, and laboratory teaching assistants.
- Coordinates student workers in preparation of materials for laboratory courses (solutions, media, specimens, slides, etc.).
- Trains student workers in appropriate methodologies in prep binders.
- Conducts safety training for student employees.
- Manages collection and processing of chemical and biological hazardous wastes for disposal, in partnership with the Chemistry Lab Manager and Environmental Services.
- Orders equipment and supplies for laboratory courses and summer research.
- Trains new faculty on materials and equipment inventories available for labs.
- Coordinates the maintenance of stock cultures and animal/plant care for living organisms/materials used in teaching laboratories.
- Meets weekly/regularly with faculty to address specific needs.
Inventory and Maintenance
- Oversees equipment maintenance and service (autoclaves, balances, microscopes, etc.) in partnership with Scientific Instrument Support Technician.
- Maintains inventory of departmental equipment, laboratory supplies and Safety Datasheet Database.
- Assists chair in departmental budgeting, as it pertains to teaching and student worker budgets.
- Performs other duties as necessary through consultation with the department chair.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic laboratory techniques and safety procedures.
- Knowledge of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Competent with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Willingness and ability to learn/use appropriate computer software for maintaining inventories, databases, etc.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, to set and meet deadlines, and to adapt to changing situations, priorities, and technologies.
- Strong initiative and ability to function independently and as a contributing team member.
- Physical ability to safely lift and move laboratory equipment and supplies (up to 25 lbs.).
- Associate degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field.
- Two years of related experience.
- Finalist candidates must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background checks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field.
- Previous supervisory and/or mentoring experience.
- Experience with online learning platforms.
- Experience with processing chemical and biological hazards.
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment failure.
Ability to move heavy wheeled objects, such as gas and cryogen cylinders and lift other items up to approximately 25 pounds unassisted.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Submit your resume, cover letter, and list of three references online at: https://employment.plu.edu/postings/6699
At PLU, diversity is intrinsic to the vitality of learning, resilience and growth. PLU is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from members of historically underrepresented and minoritized groups, women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and others who would bring broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. PLU offers an excellent benefits package including tuition remission for employees and their dependents, retirement plan, medical, dental, paid vacation, major holidays off, and many other great university benefits.
To apply for this job please visit employment.plu.edu.