We are currently looking for a highly motivated, experienced Lab Manager to manage the day-to-day operations of the lab of Dr. Carolyn Bertozzi at Stanford University in Palo Alto, CA. In the 21st century, explorations at the interface of chemistry and biology will spawn new medicines and diagnostics that improve human health, technologies for probing natural biology, and roadmaps for creating synthetic forms of life engineered to serve human needs. The Bertozzi lab’s research centers on creating new platform technologies that promote these endeavors as well as applying chemical approaches to study systems that elude more conventional methods of biological inquiry. Examples of technologies that drive their research are bioorthogonal chemistries, site-specific protein modification methods, and synthetic glycopolymers that emulate cell-surface glycoproteins. More information about the lab can be found here: https://bertozzigroup.stanford.edu/
The Lab Manager serves an integral function within the lab, partnering with the Assistant Lab Manager and technicians to ensure smooth operation of day-to-day activities and serving as a main point of contact for those in the lab encountering challenges. We are ideally targeting experienced, self-driven candidates who thrive in a community-focused environment and enjoy nuanced problem solving.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Operational – 90%:
• Manage the day-to-day activities and organization within the laboratory, including effective operation of equipment, inventory management, and assisting with requisitioning for all members of the lab.
• Maintain and enforce compliance with all safety policies and regulations including:
Biohazard management, including the oversight of proper disposal of all hazardous waste leaving the lab.
Annual Environmental Health & Safety Inspection, as well as maintaining an up-to-date inventory of all chemicals stored in the lab.
Serving as the Biosafety and Fire Safety Coordinator for the lab.
• Manage biosafety level 1, 2 and 2+, ensure lab safety, EH&S compliance and conduct risk assessments.
• Manage sourcing, procuring, negotiating, and ordering lab reagents and equipment.
• Act as primary resource for a variety of lab relationships, including coordinator equipment maintenance and repair with outside vendors, and interfacing with HHMI staff, host institution staff, and serving as the lab emergency point of contact.
• Welcome and train incoming lab team members on proper lab conduct, technical areas, and complex processes as needed.
• Lab equipment purchasing, installation, repairs, troubleshooting, preventative maintenance scheduling, installation, and working with technical vendors and service contracts.
• Management of lab inventories for basic, shared-use items; consumable receipt, storage and use-tracking for re-supply, ordering, organization, and inventory of lab supplies.
• Offboard departing lab members in accordance with close-out policies at both the institutional and lab level.
• Collaborate with operations management to support budget activities, operations, and project management.
• Work efficiently and cooperatively with a team of researchers and proactively support all aspects of the Bertozzi lab’s research.
• Participate in laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
Research – 10%:
• Work efficiently and cooperatively with a team of researchers in support of projects with techniques such as: cell culture, mycoplasma testing of cell lines, and conducting proliferation assays for FBS lot-matching.
• Oversee the distribution of routine lab tasks among the technicians of the lab, which may extend to training on certain tasks such as aseptic technique and proper handling of research material (aliquoting, pouring plates, autoclaving, media preparation, etc.) as needed.
Education and Experience
• A bachelor’s degree in biology or a related discipline is required. An advanced degree (MS or PhD) would be a plus.
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience working in a research lab, including at least 3 years of supervisory/mentoring experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Excellent organizational skills and an aptitude for spatial planning.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills and writing skills.
• Strong computer skills and record-keeping skills.
• Strong degree of self-motivation and strong attention to detail.
• Familiarity with electronic lab data management tools.
• Knowledge of MS Office Suite and computer software programs in both PC and Mac environments.
• Knowledge of basic laboratory equipment with ability to troubleshoot equipment problems and accurately communicate equipment issues with repair technicians and engineers.
• Knowledge of standard safety regulations and appropriate laboratory practices applying to research in biology and biochemistry.
• Ability to engage others effectively in learning and applying appropriate laboratory practices.
• Ability to work well with a wide variety of people in a diverse laboratory environment.
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet). Work may involve possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.
This job description sets forth the job’s principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word “may,” the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are “essential functions” of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com