Managing a laboratory organization is a challenging job requiring the need to balance the needs of varied stakeholders, balancing the focus on the present and the future, and having the courage to make tough decisions. Success requires six key actions.
- Surround yourself with excellent people, motivate them, get them engaged and grow them to be the best they can.
- Implement organizational systems and work processes that are efficient, satisfy customer needs and enable people to succeed.
- Delegate effectively giving people independence and ownership.
- Be an effective communicator – listen as well as speak.
- Keep score to know how well the organization is doing and use data to continuously improve.
- Recognize change in all aspects of managing, embrace it and have the courage to lead it.
And a bonus key to success. . . Never stop learning. The ALMA conference presents the opportunity to continue learning through its pre-conference full and half day workshops which address the six key management skills. Check them out and register at www.labmanagers.org.
ALMA2019@MINNEAPOLIS is pleased to offer six pre-conference workshops to improve your lab leadership skills. Admission to pre-conference workshops is not included with a Conference Ticket.
- Fundamentals of Lab Management – Managing People (FULL DAY)
- Fundamentals of Lab Management – Managing the Organization and Work Processes (FULL DAY)
- Building a Collaborative Work Team with Technical People (HALF DAY)
- Succession Planning: It’s Easier than You Think (HALF DAY)
- Navigating the Financial Jungle to Communicate Value and Get Investment (HALF DAY)
- Engaging Employees to Improve Organizational Culture and Create Competitive Advantage (HALF DAY)